As All Things Web begins to optimise more and more YouTube channels and videos for our clients we thought it would be fun to list 15 interesting facts about the internet phenomenon that is YouTube. Next time you’re at a dinner party and want to look a 100% uber-geek then feel free to quote from our facts mentioned below!
- Youtube was founded by 3 ex-Paypal employees (Steve Chen, Jawed Karim and Chad Hurley) and the website went live in November 2005. By July 2006, whilst in “beta mode”, the site generated over 100 Million Video views per day and – on average – 65,000 new videos were uploaded. Not bad for a beta website!
- Me at the Zoo was the first YouTube video uploaded to the site in April 2005, it currently has 13,674,906 views, 83,193 comments and 124,609 thumbs up. The video which only runs for 19 seconds features YouTube co-founder Jawed Karim visiting San Diego Zoo.
- After its owner, Google, YouTube is the second largest search engine on the planet – it generates a far greater amount of traffic than Bing, Yahoo and Ask combined)
- Tony Blair became the first political leader in the world to establish his own YouTube channel, he currently has *only* 732 subscribers on his “The Office of Tony Blair” channel whilst in comparison Barack Obama has over 546,000 YouTube subscribers!
- Whilst at PayPal Chad Hurley was responsible for designing the original Paypal logo!
- In 2008 on April Fool’s Day Youtube redirected every video to Rick Astley’s “Never Going to Give you up” – thereby joining the world in the process of Rickrolling!
- Khan Academy by choosing to host all 4015 videos it has created on YouTube has become one of the platform’s biggest publishers, with over 300 million total views and its mission? To provide a free, world class education to anyone anywhere.
- Currently YouTube is blocked by China, Pakistan, Iran, Turkmenistan, Tajikstan, Sudan, Syria and the USA’s Department of Defence – source here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Censorship_of_YouTube
- The most viewed user-generated YouTube video is “Charlie Bit My Finger” which was uploaded on the 22 May 2007. It has over 666 million views, 252,000 subscribers, almost 600,000 comments and nearly 1.2 million thumbs up!
- The most viewed video, at this time, on Youtube is the PSY Gangnam Style Music Video with – wait for it! – 1,915,019,041 views (that’s almost 2 billion views!!!) and over 8 million likes. Phenomenal figures.
- Google bought YouTube way back in 2006 for $1.65 billion (in stock) just 18 months after being set up – certainly makes you wonder how much YouTube would sell for now.
- In April 2006 Sequoia Capital provided YouTube with $8 million in additional funding.
- In 2010 Hurley stepped down from his position of CEO at YouTube to focus on other projects
- Over 4 billion hours of video (over 450,000 years’ worth) are consumed over on YouTube every SINGLE month.
- Its estimated that during 2007 YouTube used as much bandwidth as the entire Internet did during 2000, that’s an impressive statistic.
Finally this video with 25 million likes gave us one of the biggest jump-out-of-your-seat frights on YouTube ever!
Take a (brave) look here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRV4d9LCawU
Our next post will feature details on how to do Search Engine Video Optimisation for YouTube so stay tuned!